SELECTION PROCESS AND APPLICATION
Focus on Education and Family
By focusing on education and family, we build sustainable, long term growth instead of providing a temporary fix to problems. Better education and stronger families in Africa means a better Africa. A better Africa means a better world.
The Role of Women in Africa
Women play an essential role in African development, which is why many of the programs supported by Harambee USA Foundation are operated by and for women. Our initiatives aim to help the African nations understand the risks their communities face by not educating girls. Harambee is committed to making the African woman’s contribution to African national development not only tangible and long lasting, but positive and life-sustaining as well.
To be accepted for consideration, projects must be proposed by non-profit organizations established in the receiving country and legally recognized by the local authorities. The proposing entity must have a successful track record in the field of education and local personnel with adequate technical competency to manage the project. Proposed projects can last a maximum of 12 months and must be ready for implementation within 30 days of receiving the first payment from Harambee. Failure from the local entity to communicate delays or problems affecting implementation results in termination of funding.
We give priority in our project selection to:
- Projects aimed at women and children living in rural areas or impoverished urban areas
- Projects that can generate additional developmental intiatives
- Literacy programs for children, adolescents and adults
- Primary education (formal and non-formal)
- Teacher training
- Vocational and job training
- Multi-disciplinary and holistic education programs
We do not fund:
- Operational expenses such as : Rent and taxes, management costs
- Support for candidates in political office
- Local or national governments
- For-profit organizations
- Capital campaigns